Sunday, October 5, 2014

My Culinary Critique on Ottava Via Located in Cork Town

To all of the food lovers residing within Detroit or the South East region of Michigan, if you did not get a chance to eat at one of the “Fine Dinning” eatery participants selected for “Detroit Restaurant Week” 2014; you missed out on a great experience.   Presented by Shinola, twenty of Detroit’s top notch eating establishments were selected to present their best cuisine for individuals to indulge and enjoy at an affordable rate. 

Wanting a new experience from a place I’d never dined at, I selected Ottava Via located in Cork Town.  The outside of this beautiful dark bricked building put me in the mind of a scene from Brooklyn New York in the 1950’s. The inside décor is simply superb and resembles one of an outside Italian mini street fair.   The facility is spacious and suitable for either a large dine in party; a family night outing, or romantic first time date.  

Upon entry I was greeted with a pleasant smile by the bartender and server.   Unable to order what was featured on their (DRW) menu due to arriving too early, I decided on a fresh greens salad made with their homemade signature Italian Dressing and vegetarian pizza.  I have had my fair share of decent salads however; I must honestly say that this salad indeed was one of the best I had ever tasted.   I regret the fact that I did not order of bottle of the salad dressing to take home.    

The vegetarian pizza I ordered unfortunately did not meet my standards.  In my mind, prior to ordering it, I envisioned a pizza with a mixture of various Italian cheeses that would come together to compliment the taste of sautéed vegetables on a thin crust brick oven pizza.  This unison or combination of ingredients did not satisfy my taste buds at all.  It put me in the mind of frozen flat bread that could be purchased at any local market.  I do intend to pay another visit in the nearer future.  I am still willing to give their pastas a shot.  After all, a place with a solid reputation such as theirs has got to be able to make some great spaghetti, or tortellini.

No comments:

Post a Comment