Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Kidney Sellers: A Journey Discovery in Iran by Sigrid Fry-Revere



When it comes to the medical field, I by no means am an expert.  In fact, after seeing my mom conduct an Ivy procedure on a patient over fifteen years ago, I knew it wasn’t for me. This is why when selecting a career or profession, one should feel passionate about their work.  Sigrid Fry-Revere loves the work she’s doing!  This woman loves it so much that she conducted a study in Iran…a place that has very little regard for the American way of life.   

Leaving her husband and children behind to make this journey, Fry-Revere discovers that Iran, a country where the average salary annually for an individual is $3000, may possibly have the solution to the Kidney shortage in America.  Traveling through various parts of this country, she immediately adapts to the cultural and mandated customs.   On her journey, she makes many discoveries about kidney supply and demand, the history and cultural of Iran, and “rights” as they apply to women.   

I must say, my favorite parts of this book are the actual documentaries.  The responses from both male and females from Iran and the United States in regards to kidney transplants and donor ship were very informative.  I will never forget “Steve’s Story.”  Not only did I learn a lot about the statistics of renal failure, I also learned who qualifies as an “Idea Donor” in America.    Way to go Sigrid!  Your book one day will be used to help the World solve its Kidney Transplant Epidemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment