Thursday, August 8, 2013

Puk Time...Stories & Business Lessons on how to Make it Happen in Myanmar by Jonathan Paul Nichols

Reading this book in the beginning, I felt like a student who was getting a social studies lesson on a third world country. Unfamiliar to the living conditions that were forced upon the people of Myanmar, I instantly became empathetic to their unfortunate everyday way of life. Nichols takes us on his one year journey on his mission to both invest and create a business in a place where the chances for a foreigner are slim to none. Each chapter addresses a specific time frame during his stay. At the end of each chapter, a business lesson is provided. Getting into the meat of this book, I must admit, I did find some of the jokes and Jonathan's since of humor to be a tad bit offensive. Some of the business lessons included in my opinion could apply not only within the country of Myanmar. The lessons could also apply elsewhere. I was pretty impressed with the afterword section. The most valuable lesson I learned from this book is that giving up too soon in the game of business in the country of Myanmar will get you no where. A combination of both business and common sense is required and necessary in a place such at this one where a businessman from another country can be perceived as naïve. Way to go Mr. Nichols.

No comments:

Post a Comment