Wednesday, September 10, 2014

My Culinary Critique on Beans and Cornbread Located on Northwestern Highway


The south east region of Michigan has many soul food restaurants to choose from. In-fact, most of them have a solid reputation for serving up some of the best food nationwide.  Having a taste for this popular African American cuisine, I decided to venture off to Beans and Cornbread located on Northwestern Highway.

From the parking lot, I could smell the aroma of the food from outside.  Entering the restaurant, I was hit with the sound of smooth jazz playing and the scent of sweet potato muffins. The staff was most gracious and spoke to me minutes after coming through the door. Unlike most soul food restaurants, this place of business has family dinning side, and a separate section that allows you to order your meal and sip on your favorite alcoholic beverage at the same time.

Very impressed with their menu choices, I decided on salmon patties, fried okra, and collard greens accented with red onions.  The salmon patties were awesome.  I appreciate the fact that they were not a conglomerate of seasoned breading and I could actually taste the fish. The greens were to die from!  Although I’ve had better tasting fried okra, it wasn’t’ half bad either.   The next time I visit, I’ll most likely select an alternate in the of place okra.  
Beans and Cornbread definitely ranks high in my opinion.  I’m recommending that anyone in the mood for some delicious soul food give them a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment